Monday, August 5, 2013

First Blog Post / Welcome to my Training

Welcome to my first blog!  My name is Jason and I'm currently training for the MetroPCS Dallas Marathon on December 8, 2013.  This will be my third full marathon (26.2 miles if you're new) and I've decided this time to chronicle the next few months of training, experiences, lessons learned, and other random anecdotes along the way.

That covers the WHAT, but here's the WHY:
 

I am dedicating this effort to God and the work He is doing in northern India through my church, Cornerstone Baptist Church (of Fort Worth).  My goal is to raise $524 by race day.  

Is that an oddly specific amount for you?  Well here's how it breaks down: That's exactly $20 for every mile I will conquer.  Now here's the part where you're like, "Yeah, but $20 x 26 miles is..." I know, I know.  But you forgot to factor the .2 in your algorithm.  The math is sound, trust me; I'm a professional at calculators.

Now here's the part that future posts will look like...


DAILY QUICKSTATS

  • Marathon Training - Week 3, Day 1, 6:30am

  • 4.17 miles / 10.38 min pace / 44:26 finish

  • Outdoors: 81 deg; 66% humidity

  • Heritage-Trace Blvd / West Fork neighborhood


So I was supposed to run this 4-mile “long run” yesterday, at the end of week 2.  But after a full day of military training yesterday, I kind of didn’t have it in me. So I got a pretty decent night of sleep last night and got up at 5:30am to do it this morning. However, I’m already supposed to run 3 miles today for the start of week 3, so I’ll probably run it tomorrow morning on my non-run day. Running schedules have to be flexible and fit around your life, not overrun it. (no pun intended)

The run was fairly easy today. Texas August heat/humidity is never fun, but honestly, the worst part is the first mile. Going from a non-sweating status to a DEFINITELY-SWEATING status is kind of a gross transitional period. I hate feeling sticky, but once I’m thoroughly coated I’m good to go.

I learned a new trick for hot/humid runs today. Running in a quiet, early morning neighborhood is nice- but stifling. I didn’t feel a single breeze until I got out on the main boulevard of my subdivision. Man, running alongside traffic gave me plenty of micro-breezes, and the big Texas trucks moved a LOT of air my way.  So run near traffic, but don't play in the street.


Over the next few months of buildup to the Dallas Marathon, I anticipate running a few additional races of various lengths.  Today I signed up for Lockheed Martin's F-35 Family Picnic and 5K race on September 28.  That will be fun and I'll have the t-shirt to prove it.  I'm also hoping to register for the Clark Gardens Half-Marathon in Weatherford, TX sometime in October.

The Internet on running:  "It never gets easier, you just get better."

WHAT I FEEL LIKE
WHAT I LOOK LIKE

No comments:

Post a Comment